Floods and snows are things we cannot totally control even though they are the major pointers to water damages. However, few steps can be taken to prevent the effects that these natural phenomena can have on our homes. It is important to take these preventive measures seriously since it is cheaper to repair compared to the cost of repairs. Even though most homes are insured by way of some home insurance policies, but yet again, preventing these water damages are easier than pursuing the insurance claims. While some water damage causes are natural such as rain and snows, some that result from broken water pipes.
The Key Takeaways on Water Damage Prevention Are:
- Take preventive measures to prevent drainage blockages
- One of the preventive measures is that you should never pour greases down your sink to your drainage. Greases can congeal and stick to walls of pipes, leading to an eventual blockage. Even if you must, you should probably dissolve it efficiently with hot water. Even this is not advisable as you cannot be sure that the grease will coagulate somewhere in transit. Never pour grease down your sink
- It is also advisable to take proper care of your drainage system from time to time to remove debris that can lead to an imminent blockage.
- Also ensure that the downspouts in your home directs water to about 5 to 10 feet clear of your home.
- Look Out for Water Leaks and Fix Them Promptly
These leaks, if not fixed promptly can lead to growth of highly undesired mold, mildew and rots. It may also invite carpenter ants and termites. In this era of conduit wiring, it can be difficult to spot pipe leakages. However, pointers such as wetness of wall, mold growth can tell of a damaged conduit piping.
How to check for leaks:
- You may also need to check your roofs and repair missing or loosing sheets to keep the elements away from your home. Dark spots under pipes are also signs of leakages.
- At least once a year, inspect your roof. Repair missing, loose, and damaged shingles. Repair any cracked caulking and check for leaks around flashing.
- Clean out roof gutters to ensure free flow
Most people do not consider roof gutter cleaning as a worthy task. It is advisable to check the roofs and clean them properly to ensure they are carrying out the task they are built for- channeling of the elements to designated drainages. When this cannot happen, the water sips into walls and basements.
Prevention is better than cure also applies to water damages. It is especially so because remediation and total recovery from its effect may be traumatizing. But with a suitable water damage control organization such as http://atlantawaterdamagepro.com/, the effects can be dealt with in a quick and efficient manner. At Atlanta Water Damage Pros, we will not only help with water evacuation, we will also help you sanitize and restore your home and also help you with the recovery of your valuables through careful drying.